How might we learn and grow together? How do we connect ideas and engage in productive, purposeful learning experiences (aka professional development) around common mission, vision, and goals? What if we model what we want to see and experience in our classrooms?
Continuing to work on our common goal, Maryellen Berry, Rhonda Mitchell, Marsha Harris, and I facilitated a half day learning session for base classroom teachers.
In August, we introduced our goal for teacher-learners and began our work and learning with the faculty.
Throughout the semester, we have been working with teacher-teams in many ways. We hope our faculty notice how we are modeling be together, not the same taught during Pre-Planning. We have worked and learned with teams to design and implement common assessments and analyze the results to understand what students know in reading, writing, and mathematics.
Based on our observations and conferring with teams and individual teachers, we know that we are ready to move to the next level of our work. Here is a copy of our plan:
We can design and implement a differentiated action plan across our grade to meet all learners where they are.
||Intro to Purpose: Instructional Core: Relationship between content, teacher, student
- Brightspot observed Instructional Core teamwork
||Movement to Grade Level Teams and spaces
|Analyze Student Work Together (a la Norming Meeting)
- Use PAST assessment (Pre-K), Founts & Pinnell winter running records (K-6th) as common assessment.
- Sort student records (1-4) using TCRWP Benchmark Reading Levels and Marking Periods and identify at least one teaching point for each learner (on a Post-it on the folder)
- Partner up to do a deep dive into one of the levels
- Using the Continuum of Literacy, note and note the following
- Develop a plan for this level of reading and the necessary strategy groups
||Q&A and transition
||Closure: Planning, Reflection, Next Steps
Here’s what it looked like:
As we learn more about our learners, we are better equipped to help them as they learn and grow.
Based on outcomes from today, Maryellen, Marsha, Rhonda, and I will adjust our pacing guide and plans to find more time for teachers to do this important learning.
We can design and implement a differentiated action plan across our
grade divisions to meet all learners where they are.