“I thought Contagious was bad. Can it be good too?” was an early reaction to Kiran Bir Sethi’s TED talk on day one of Synergy.
Have you been introduced to Kiran Bir Sethi, the founder of the Riverside School in Ahmedabad?
On day one with our new Synergy team, we used the TED talk, Kiran Bir Sethi teaches kids to take charge, to introduce Synergy to our new learners.
More from the backchannel:
(Remember…a backchannel is for quick, collaborative note taking and sharing ideas…we encourage our learners to take the editor off of their shoulder and record ideas. They can polish their writing later when they journal on the ideas that stick.)
- Inspiration is contagious.
- kids are doing things for each other instead of adults doing things for kids
- Contagious; Laughter, Happiness i can- get infected
- laughter is contagious passion is contagious. i can.good feelings can be contagious
- The “infection” is slowly spreading
- 100,000 children stopped and took the time to think “i can.”
- I think it is about kids being able to change things, not just adults
- this sounds like synergy.
- kids can make a change- just find something you want to change and act on it
- one week of kids doing their part can change so much.
- I think one of the main points of the video is that kids can change the world no matter how old they are.
when adults give kids a chance they take it and actually make a change
- the teachers are the people that believe in us and say “you can”
- this video shows how much we (8th graders) can help so many people or things
- the children are using teamwork to change people’s lives like synergy
- contagious is a good word
- its good to have the “now” mindset rather than “later”
- the words “i can” is very important because service, and helping is contagious. You must “infect” minds with the “‘i can bug”. Children must be aware, enabled, and empowered. Take your studies out of the classroom, and change billions of lives. Go from ‘i can’ to ‘you can’ to ‘we can’.
- I think we have all said “i can” at one point. What these children do, and what Kiran Bir Sethi is saying is almost exactly what Mr. Adams and Mrs. Gough are telling us.
- Contagious -“i can” -aware: seeing the change -Enable: be changed -Empower: being the change Teacher told me, to… i can! Simple tool kit, sent to india schools Children will thinking of solutions Kids Teaching parents to write&read
- contagious, infect “I can” aware (seeing the change) enable (being the change) empower (lead the change) “you can” “we can”
- I think in synergy We will take charge
Amazing! Isn’t this what we want for our learners? Actually, isn’t this what we strive for from our citizens? Aware…Empowered…Enabled community members mobilized to effect positive change.
How can I continue to strive to become the teacher and adult described by two of our Synergy team members?
Teachers are the people that believe in us and say “you can.”
When adults give kids a chance they take it and actually make a change.
Give kids a chance…live the message “you can.”
Get infected…spread the “I can” bug.