The math committee met this week to work on our goals. We agreed that, for the rest of this school year, we would spend half of our time on learning more math and the other half studying to learn more about the Standards For Mathematical Practice.
We met this week to learn more math and to discuss Chapter 1, Mathematical 1: Make Sense of Problems and Persevere in Solving Them in Beyond Answers: Exploring Mathematical Practices with Young Children by Mike Flynn.
- We can learn more math.
- We can share work with grade level teams to grow our whole community as teachers of math.
- We can deepen our understanding of the Standards For Mathematical Practice.
- I can make sense of tasks and persevere in solving them.
- I can reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- I can look for and make use of structure.
- SEEING AS UNDERSTANDING: The Importance of Visual Mathematics for our Brain and Learning from Jo Boaler
- (p. 2) A number line representation of number quantity has been shown in cognitive studies to be particularly important…
- (p. 11) Three recommendations for teaching and parenting.
- Student Evidence and Teacher Actions for Make Sense of Tasks and Persevere in Solving Them
|3:05||5 min||Quick scan of Jo’s YouCubed article (pp. 2, 11)|
|3:05||20 min||Solving equations visually to make sense of the algebra
(Learn more math)
|3:25||5 min||Book Club warm-up
|3:30||20 min||Use Visible Thinking Routines to guide discussion of Chapter One: Make Sense and Persevere
(deepen our understanding of the SMPs.)
|3:55||5 min||Feedback – “I learned…, “I liked…,”I felt…”
Read Chapter 2: Reason Abstractly and Quantitatively
Update on PD (Goal: Scale our work to our teams.)
- Number Talks and Number Strings 3rd – 6th Grade (Jan 10)
- Number Talks and Number Strings 1st – 2nd Grade (Jan 13)
- Numeracy through Literacy Early Learners – Kindergarten (Feb 8)
- **NEW** Numeracy through Literacy Kindergarten – 3rd (Mar 30-31)
When we set purposeful team goals, we help each other make progress, and we use our time intentionally.
Flynn, Michael. Beyond Answers: Exploring Mathematical Practices with Young Children. Portland, Maine.: Stenhouse, 2017. Print.
Van de Walle, John. Teaching Student-centered Mathematics: Developmentally Appropriate Instruction for Grades Pre-K-2. Boston: Pearson, 2014. Print.