Becky Holden (@bholden86) and I attended Twitter Math Camp (#TMC17) at Holy Innocents Episcopal School in Atlanta, GA from Thursday, July 27 to Sunday, July 30.
This conference is by teachers, for teachers. The structure of TMC contains the following lengths of presentations:
- Morning sessions (One session that meets Thursday, Friday and Saturday mornings for 2 hours each morning)
- Afternoon sessions (Individual 1/2 hour sessions on Thursday)
- Afternoon sessions (Individual 1 hour sessions Thursday, Friday and Saturday)
To honor Carl Oliver‘s (@carloliwitter) #PushSend request/challenge, here are my sketch notes from the sessions I attended.
The Politics(?) of Mathematics Teaching
Grace Chen (@graceachen)
What does it mean to say that mathematics teaching is political, and what does that mean for our moral and ethical responsibility as mathematics teachers?
Micro-decisions in Questioning
David Petersen (@calcdave)
What is not captured in my notes is play: game night, trivia, crocheting, and tons of fun.
How might we grow, learn, and play in community when together and when apart?
Summer Literacy and Math Professional Learning
June 5-9, 2017
Day 3 – Empower Learners
Jill Gough and Becky Holden
I can empower learners to reach for the next independent level in their learning.
Learning target and pathway:
It is not easy, but we need to shift from being the givers of knowledge to becoming the facilitators of knowledge development. (Flynn, 8 pag.)
UED: 8:45 – 11:15 / EED: 12:15 – 2:45
- Andreae, Giles, and Guy Parker-Rees. Giraffes Can’t Dance. New York: Scholastic, 2016. Print.
- Carpenter, Thomas P., Elizabeth Fennema, Megan Loef. Franke, Linda Levi, and Susan B. Empson. Children’s Mathematics: Cognitively Guided Instruction. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann, 2015. Print.
- Flynn, Michael. Beyond Answers: Exploring Mathematical Practices with Young Children. Portland, Maine.: Stenhouse, 2017. Print.
- Fosnot, Catherine Twomey. Conferring with Young Mathematicians at Work: Making Moments Matter. New London, CT: New Perspectives on Learning, LLC, 2016. Print.
- McCallum, William. “Number & Operations in Base Ten.” Number & Operations in Base Ten | Common Core State Standards Initiative. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 June 2017.
I’m taking X.MTHED-404: Effective Practices for Advancing the Teaching and Learning of Mathematics (K-12).
Here are my notes from Session 6, Harnessing the Power of the Purposeful Task, with Graham Fletcher.
Notes from previous sessions: