Facilitate meaningful mathematical discourse.
Effective teaching of mathematics facilitates discourse among students to build shared understanding of mathematical ideas by analyzing and comparing student approaches and arguments.
|7:15||Homework Splats! discussion, Q&A, Problem of the Week|
|7:35||Open Middle: Closest to One (recap)
|7:55||3-Act Task: The Cookie Thief
|8:25||3-Act Task: How big is the World’s Largest Deliverable Pizza?
|8:55||Book discussion from homework|
|9:15||End of session|
- Read pp. 146-151 from TAKING ACTION: Implementing Effective Mathematics Teaching Practices in K-Grade 5
- Examining Mathematical Discourse
- Deeply Read pp. 175-179 from TAKING ACTION: Implementing Effective Mathematics Teaching Practices in K-Grade 5
- What the Research says: Meaningful Mathematical Discourse
- Promoting Equity through Facilitating Meaningful Mathematical Discourse
Standards for Mathematical Practice
- I can make sense of tasks and persevere in solving them.
- I can construct a viable argument and critique the reasoning of others.
“Connect Extend Challenge A Routine for Connecting New Ideas to Prior Knowledge.” Visible Thinking, Harvard Project Zero.
Leinwand, Steve. Principles to Actions: Ensuring Mathematical Success for All. Reston, VA.: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, 2014. (p. 46) Print.
Smith, Margaret Schwan., et al. Taking Action: Implementing Effective Mathematics Teaching Practices in Grades K-5. The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, 2017.
Previous Embolden Your Inner Mathematician agendas: